Well the winter chill has yet to leave us, but never fear I have just the reciepe to warm you up while you wait for the thaw to come. So get ready to warm up with…
Broccoli and Friends Soup
1 medium onion,chopped (~1 cup)
2 teaspoons oil
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 14oz bag frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 skim milk
2 cups shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan (this is what your soup is going to be in so something that holds a good 8 cups). Add chopped onion and cook until clear and tender.
2. Add broth, water, and frozen vegetables (NOTE: You can use only broccoli, I just like the flavors that the bit of carrot and cauliflower bring); bring to a boil.
3. Add the nutmeg and cumin and allow the vegetables to simmer partially covered for about 20 minutes. You want them nice and tender.
4. Pour contents of pot into a large mixing bowl; save your cooking pot the soup will go back in it. In a food processor (or blender) blend the cooked vegetables and broth until creamy. Pour finished batches back into your original pot.
5. Once all the soup has been blended add the milk and cheese. Cook until all the cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. And it’s really good with a whole grain roll of some sort.
Stay warm in the last days of lingering winter. Enjoy!